Miljenko Jurković, PhD, Full Professor
Department of Art History, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb
Born : August 26th 1958. Nationality: Croatian. Languages: Speaks and writes: French, English, Italian, German, reads: Spanish, Dutch.
Current position: Full professor, Dept. of Art History, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, chair for Antiquity, late antiquity and early middle ages; director of the International Research Centre for late Antiquity and the middle Ages, University of Zagreb.
Education and academic degrees: 1977-1981 Undergraduate studies, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (FHSS), Dept. of Archaeology and Dept. of History of Art; 1981-1983 Postgraduate studies, Univ. Zagreb, FHSS; 1982, 1983 postgraduate courses in American Studies, Interuniversity centre Dubrovnik; 1984 Msc thesis “Pre-Romanesque Decorative Sculpture in Dubrovnik Area” University of Zagreb, FHSS; 1987-1988 Specialization at the Vrije Universiteit, Brussels, Belgium; 1990 PhD thesis “Romanesque Churches at the Islands of the North Adriatic” University of Zagreb, FHSS.
Career positions: From 1983 assistant, 1985 teaching assistant, 1991 assistant professor, 1997 associate professor, 2002 full professor at University of Zagreb.
- 1991-1997 Head of the Department of History of Art, FHSS, University of Zagreb
- 2000-2004 Vice dean for science and international relations at the FHSS, University of Zagreb
- 2004-2009 Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb
- 2005-2009 Member of The Rector’s executive board of Zagreb University
- 2004-2013 Member of the Senate of Zagreb University
Civic and professional responsibilities: 1994-2002 President of the Executive Board of the Institute for History of Art, Zagreb; 1998-2000 Member of the Croatian Committee for cooperation with the UN for education, science and culture; 1999-2000 Member of the Executive Board of the Museum of Arts and Crafts, Zagreb; 2000-2013 Member and President of the Hiring and Promotion Committee at Zagreb University; 2005-2009 Member of the Council for Humanities by the Croatian National Board for Science; 2007-2010 Member of the Executive Board of the “Prague Network of Dean’s of Faculties of Humanities”; 2009-2013 Member of the promotion board for history, archaeology, art history, ethnology by the Ministry of Science
Lecturing: Teaches at BA and MA level different courses at Dept. of Art history; part time prof. at Zagreb Univ., Interfaculty Study of Design (1990-2012), Academy of Fine Arts (from 1990), Agricultural Faculty, Study of landscape architecture (1996-2015), University of Rijeka (1990-1999); Professor at doctoral programmes Art history, Croatian culture, Medieval studies, all at Zagreb University. Supervised more than 30 diploma thesis, 4 Msc thesis, 6 PhD thesis, 6 in progress.
Visiting professorships, fellowships: 1997 Directeur d’études, Ecole pratique des hautes études, Paris; 1998 Visiting professor, Postgraduate studies at the University of Udine, Italy; 1999 Professeur d’Université, University in Amiens, France (winter semester) ; 1999 Guest professor, Centre d’Etudes Supérieures de Civilisation Médiévale, Université Poitiers, France (September Summer course)
Research areas and publications: Late antiquity, early Middle Ages, Romanesque; theory and methodology; architecture and sculpture. He is author, co-author or editor of more than 20 books, 150 articles, most in international journals (bibliography on: http://bib.irb.hr/lista-radova?autor=120455, academia.edu, and research gate). He has participated with papers at more than 120 conferences, colloquia and congresses, mostly international. Held public lectures at Universities: Paris IV, Clermont-Ferrand, Lyon 2, Aix-Marseille, Bruxelles, Paderborn, Waterloo, Guadalajara, Hokkaido, Palma de Mallorca, Padova, Montpellier, the Slovak Academy of Sciences and Arts, Institut de France – Académie des Inscriptions et belles-lettres, Ecole nationale des chartes, Société nationale des antiquaires de France
Visiting research grants and fellowships: 1985, 1987, 1991, and 1996 University of Padova, short term visits; 1990 University of Trieste; 1990-1996 University of Udine, short term visits each year; 1993-1997 University Paris IV Sorbonne, short term visits each year (2 weeks to 1 month); 2010 GZWO, University of Leipzig, short term visit; 2012 University of Padova; 2014 University of Montpellier
Editorship: 1985–1990 Member of the Scientific Council, journal Radovi Instituta za povijest umjetnosti; From 1995 Founder and editor of the international scientific journal Hortus artium medievalium; from 2001 founder and editor of Dissertationes et Monographiae, IRCLAMA; 2008-2012 Member of the Second editorial Board of the academic journal European Language and Culture Research, Beijing Foreign Studies University, School of European Languages and Cultures; From 2010 Member of the scientific board of the journal “Arte in Friuli Arte a Trieste”; from 2015 member of the “bureau” of the Association pour l’Antiquité tardive.
Organization and editing of international colloquia: Organized 23 international colloquia in IRCLAMA and edited 22 volumes of Hortus Artium Medievalium containing the proceedings; member of organizational committees of 3 national and 3 international (Palma de Mallorca, Lyon, Dijon) conferences.
Curator of international exhibitions: 1999-2000 Croatian coordinator of the European project of five exhibitions “Charlemagne and the Creation of Europe”; one of the authors of the Croatian exhibition: “Croats and Carolingians” (Split-Brescia); 2001 one of the authors of the exhibition “Europe in the time of the Anjou Dynasty” in Fontevraud, France; 2004. Author and curator of the exhibition “Croatian Renaissance” in Zagreb and Ecouen; 2005 Member of the Exhibition Committee „Canossa 1077 – Erschütterung der Welt. Geschichte, Kunst und Kultur am Aufgang der Romanik“, Paderborn; 2005 Author and curator of the exhibition “French Renaissance” in Zagreb
Prizes, awards and honors: 1979 Award of the Rector of University of Zagreb; 2001 Strossmayer Award for Scientific Work, Zagreb, awarded by the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts; 2001 Medal of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb; 2004 Officier de l’ordre des palmes académiques, awarded by the French Minister of Education; 2007 Orden Lomonosova (Order of Lomonosov), awarded by the Russian National committee for awards; Chevalier de l’ordre national du mérite, awarded by the president of France
Direction, coordination and management of national and international research projects:
- 1983-1995 member of research teams on national projects within the Institute of Art history, Zagreb
- 1995-2000 PI (co-director with J.-P. Caillet): The Monastery of Saint Mary the Great near Bale in Istria, financed by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Croatian Ministry of Culture
- 1996-2002 PI: Early Christian and Paleo-Croatian Architecture and Sculpture, financed by the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports (MZOS)
- 2002-2006 PI: Croatian Artistic Heritage from Late Antiquity to Romanesque in European Context, financed by Croatian MZOS
- 2002-2012 PI (co-director with J. Terrier): Guran – its churches, the medieval settlement and its territory, financed by La fondation Suisse-Liechstenstein pour les recherches archeologiques a l’etranger, the University of Geneva, the Fondation Ernst et Lucie Schmidheiny, the Societe Academique de Geneve, the Croatian Ministry of Culture
- 2004-2008 PI for Croatia, INTERREG IIIA – Interadria, financed by interregional funds
- 2005-2008 PI (co-director with G.P. Brogiolo and J. Arce): the fortified Roman villa in Kaštelina, island of Rab, financed by the University of Padova, the University of Lille III, Interreg III Adriatico and the Croatian Ministry of Culture
- 2007-2009 PI and Project Director: IRCLAMA, FP6, funded by the European Commission, Brussels (710.000, 00 EUR)
- 2010-2012 National PI: Transferts et circulations artistiques en Europe à l‘époque gotique (XIIe-XVIe siècles), financed by Institut national d’histoire de l’art / INHA, France
- 2007-2013 PI: Croatian Artistic Heritage to the “Style 1200” in European Context, financed by Croatian MZOS
- 2013-2014 Academic coordinator in LLP Erasmus Intensive programmes: IntSYSTEM, Integrated systems of sources, technologies and methods – remote sensing of historical landscape, Intensive programme, field research on the island of Rab, with universities of Padova, Clermont-Ferrand and Paris XII, funded by the European Commission (40.368,60 EUR), duration: 1-15 June 2014.
- 2014 The transformation of the historical landscape of the island of Rab, University of Zagreb grant
- 2015 Transformation of the historical landscape of the Quarnero islands, University of Zagreb grant
Projects in progress:
- From 2006 PI (co-director with S. Bully): The Monastery of St. Peter, Osor, island of Cres, archaeological excavation, financed by the French Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs, the Croatian Ministry of Culture, the Foundation Caritas Veritatis
- From 2002 Coordinator (with G.P. Brogiolo) of the European project: Corpus Architecturae Religiosae Europeae (IV-X saec.): there is no universal financing; each country applies nationally for funding
- 2014-2018 PI: Croatian medieval heritage in European context: mobility of artists and transfer of forms, functions and ideas, CROMART
- 2015-2019 COST project TD1406, Innovation in the intelligent management of Historical Buildings (i2 MBH Action TD1406), member of the MC